Friday, December 20, 2013

Christmas Challenge Day 1: Revenge of the Cheerleaders

613934Author: Janette Rallison
Release Date:  October 2nd, 2007
Publisher: Walker Childrens
Genre(s): YA Contemporary 
Pages: 256
*2nd book in series (companion)*
*Part of the Christmas Challenge!*

~SPOILERS ARE HIDDEN! HIGHLIGHT THE PAGE TO SEE THEM! :)~

Summary (Goodreads): 
Chelsea's school year has taken a turn for the worse.  After being dumped by her boyfriend and humiliated at the pep assembly by her younger sister's boyfriend, Rick, she's just concentrating on avoiding any other major embarrassments.
 
That's when Rick and his band debut their new album, complete with a whole set of songs bashing cheerleaders.  Chelsea's humiliation has reached a whole new level now that everyone is walking down the halls singing the words to "Dangerously Blonde."  
 
It's time to make Rick pay.  All he wants is to win the High School Idolaudition, so he can be on his way to rock star fame and fortune. But with the help of her best friends, Aubrie and Samantha, Chelsea is going to steal his victory right out from under him. 
 
The characters from All's Fair in Love, War and High Schooare back, only this time it's payback.


Review: 
Ahhhh this book is sooo cute!! >.<

I absolutely love Chelsea. She’s HILARIOUS!  Oh my goodness, her subtle quips and snarkiness had me laughing like a lunatic the ENTIRE time (which, btw, brought awkward stares from other people in the waiting room… but whateves.  This book was soo worth it ;-)).  I also love the appearance of Samantha and Logan! They’re so adorable, and I’m glad to see their story didn’t end in All’s Fair in Love, War, and High School.:)

I absolutely adore how even though this book is fluffy and cute, it’s also unexpectedly deep.  Chelsea isn’t just some airheaded blonde cheerleader whose seeking petty revenge (okay, she is seeking revenge, and okay, her revenge is a little extreme: training to beat Rick at a competition Rick's spent his entire life preparing for, but that's not the point LOL); she’s a very caring and loving girl (despite her quirks and sarcasm ;), esp. when it comes to her sister.  Her over protectiveness over her younger sister, despite the way Adrian is acting out, is very sweet, and I think that's the heart of the book: family always and forever.  I could relate with Chels so well, being the oldest child in my family as well.  Despite what our younger siblings think, we do care, and we do love them, but we're human too.  What we might think is best for them might not exactly seem like it's the best (or is the best), but hey, we're trying! :D  

And of course, the romance ;).  NO INSTA-LOVE!!!! *squeal!*
(Yep, gonna mention it every single time;)! It’s like a party in my world whenever I stumble across a book with an actual relationship between the main characters!).

 To be honest, going into this book, I thought Chels was going to fall in love with Rick (in my defense, the blurb didn't mention any other guy! And the love interest didn't show up until like 40 pages in! Usually they appear sooner! Esp. in a Janette Rallison book! And I thought he was a minor character! I didn't know what to assume!).  So at first I was like

UM???


BUT THEN.
Clark Kent Romeo Tanner shows up, and

So, my dear readers, do not be deceived like I was.   
IT WAS A FALSE ALARM.

But I digress.

So.

Back to the romance. ;)

There were many sah-woon worthy moments, but the main thing that stood out to me was how both Chels and Tanner, no matter how strong their attraction was to each other, put family first.  So many books I’ve read in the YA category always have the girl revolving her life around a guy (and usually a guy she's just met).   I absolutely loved how family was the prominent theme here, even if that blurb in the beginning made it *seem* like revenge was.  (In truth, it was a little bit, but even revenge gave way to "family first" (the romance was extra! ;). )    

Oh! And how could I forget Molly and Polly? ;) Chels, at first, reluctantly takes them on so her music teacher would help her with her singing. BUT THEN, Chels gets to know the real Molly and Polly, and let me tell ya, their antics are HILARIOUS as well.  (That scene with that guy Joe!!!! Read the book! You’ll understand!!) xD

Final thoughts?  Belly-laughter funny, cute, and deep.  A great read for a “cold” (read: 73 degrees T.T) winter night.

Thanks for reading!

Rating: 3 out of 5

This review participated in the weekly meme hosted by the wonderful Sherry over at Semicolon!
SatReviewbutton

No comments: